Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sv650s
I am going to buy a SV650S, what are the pros and cons of the bike? I know it won't out accelerate a ZX-6 or GSX-R600, but how is it in terms of acceleration. I know I can bore it out, get new pistons, put a jet kit in it, and a whole exhuast for it, but I am wondering how fast I will be after that. Any info on the bike would be appreciated.
I know how to ride, I have a dirt bike, but this is going to be my first street bike.
Ask wolf about the SV650s, btw wolf, whats the difference between S and no S? Is it the fairings ?
wolf can tell you that the sv650 is CRAP and that no intelligent person should buy it!:p hehe nah, the sv is a cool ass bike to roll around on. you dont need new pistons, or any crap like that -- that bike packs plenty of heat out of the box. im pretty sure that wolf will tell you that it is much more bike than you need unless you are an experienced track rider. nice choice of bike, and dont worry about any extras yet.
The only difference is the fairings and the windshield, thanks for the help guys.
the SV650S will HAUL ASS at the track!! :flip:
that V-Twin engine is the s***!! although it won't accelerate as quick as the inline-4s will, but it still a great bike. thousands less than a ducati monster. Wink

-hotdog
The SVS has different gauges (same ones as the naked model, but different housing), clipon handlebars instead of a solid bar, fairings, slightly rearset foot pegs (about 1" further back than the naked), and the rear sprocket is 1 tooth less than the naked, which lowers acceleration, but gives a bit more top speed.

The SV650 does the 1/4 mile between 11.7-12.1.
65-67hp stock, with a K&N, rejetting, and pipe, around 75hp.
I wouldn't recommend the 700 or 750cc overbore kits. These are a lot of money and don't provide a huge power increase. There have also been some reliability issues raised with these kits.

For a first streetbike, the SV is more than adequate. It has decent power, but not so much that if you go WOT it'll flip over like some supersport 600's can.

The main things you'll want to replace/upgrade are the front springs (too soft for any rider over 150lbs) and the tires, which are good for mild-moderate riding, but too hard for aggressive use.
:wolf:
00 Jeep Cherokee - 4.0L I6
03 Suzuki DR650SE - 650cc Thumper
I used to own a 00 SV. owsome bike. In the curves I smoked every bike that ever rode with me. It doesn't have that high of a top speed but it is pretty quick up to about 120mph. The 600 super sport bikes couldn't pass me unless we hit a good straight stretch. Stick some clipons on the sv for a more agressive position and a pipe to let that nice twin sound out, and you gotta.
Ya thats me . A squid that wears full race gear and thirteen years of expierience. Plus I like to fondle my motorcycle while I rub my ass against it. And I eat squid.

So if you wanted to you could call me a fullyprotected-expierienced-ass-rubbing-canable-pervert.
That rides motorcycles and finger paints.

Tongueoke: :moon: :moon: :flip:
Quote:You might want to give up riding a motorcycle and take some english clsses. I wonder how someone has so much experience in riding and can't write worth shit

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
damn bro, who were you ridning with when you took out that sv? must have been some 1st week riders, because i dont care how many years of experience you have, most 2-3 year riders would beat the crap out of an sv. the characteristics of the sv just do not allow it to hit the twisties that well, and any rider of a gixxer or r6 could beat one with minimal experience -- unless of course youre nicky haden:haha:
Quote:Originally posted by Mr RC51
You might want to give up riding a motorcycle and take some english clsses. I wonder how someone has so much experience in riding and can't write worth shit.

LOL!!!!:haha: :haha:

i'd choose an SV650 over a Ducati Monster... Unless it was the S4 Monster :p

but a silver SV650S with the lower fairing! *drools*
That is one bad ass looking SV. :bow:
Quote:Originally posted by sac racer

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
damn bro, who were you ridning with when you took out that sv? must have been some 1st week riders, because i dont care how many years of experience you have, most 2-3 year riders would beat the crap out of an sv. the characteristics of the sv just do not allow it to hit the twisties that well, and any rider of a gixxer or r6 could beat one with minimal experience -- unless of course youre nicky haden:haha:

You gotta be kidding me Mr. Sac Racer. That SV is one of the best bikes to race in CCS and AFM. It's chassis is excellent for the corners. One of my best friends rides an R6, he also used to road race in AFM. His buddy, who goes with him up 29 alot, races an SV in SuperSport 600, a class that usually only has 4 cylinder motorcycles such as R6's, ZX6's and Gixxers. I have ridden the SV and from my 9 years of riding, it is one of THE BEST handling bikes I have ever taken into the canyons. I am actually thinking of selling my R1 to get an SV650 to campaign it in CCS. Currently I have an EX500 for racing, doesn't compare to the handling of the SV, neither does my street R1. Please educate yourself more before posting about bikes you don't know anything about. Smile
Ya what he said.:headbang:
ooo, i must restrain and realize tht i was partly responsible for your response. ive done many miles on the sv due to one of my best riding buddies having one, and it just didnt compare with the gixxer. this has been the case with almost every rider i ride with, with 2 exceptions, so i think this was an accurate conclusion. maybe with better experience, a bike like the sv could perform better due to being able to adapt to more than one machine. i guess it is just my style and maybe even a mental thing; but, id kick my own ass on my gixxer. please dont assume that i know nothing about something i say. i would never make assumptions without experience, and i should hope that you will not make the same mistake again -- i.e. not being aware of my knowledge/experience. maybe we should all -- including myself -- extinguish our riding-generalizations, as we all know that when it comes down to it everything is on the rider. thank you, and no hard feelingsCool
You might want to give up riding a motorcycle and take some english clsses. I wonder how someone has so much experience in riding and can't write worth shit.

dude his english was fine...he states earlier that he runs his sv hard and its a great bike....there was no need to call him a squid...your always talking about how you pass people on the apex and so on, no one calls you a squid.

and sac racer, your usually on point, but i have to disagree with you on the sv. the characteristics of the sv make it a great twisy bike. its light, small, tourqey v twin, etc. small work on front suspension and its a good bike to run in tight turns.

...i got to say...recently this forum has become real full of ego. you can hardly see a post where someone is not being called a squid or being shut down in a rude manner. you know what they say, people who are about it, dont have to talk about it.

when newbies come in and ask a question, it doesnt hurt to help them out...most of the time its "your a squid, dont worry about fast or looks, get a '88 250 squid" or some other bs thats shuts them out.

most people here didnt even start on a 250, yet thats what everyone says to ride..dint sac start on a yzf600r? and the mr rc51 werent you on a r6? what about the rest of you? hell, we'd all be called squids when we first started. we didnt get a broke as 2fiddy ninja and full gear and do trackdays now did we...

all im saying is this forum used to be cool with a lot of friendly chat where we were all sportbikers on the STREETRACING messageboard...
now its like everyone is better than everyone else and they shit talk all the rookies...Rolleyes

....get some getright....
Quote:...i got to say...recently this forum has become real full of ego. you can hardly see a post where someone is not being called a squid or being shut down in a rude manner. you know what they say, people who are about it, dont have to talk about it.

dude, i have noticed the same, and have even questioned some of my statements. i was evaluating my words in some of the threads lately, and was actually going to post something very similar to yours. yes, i did start on a 600, and have always said that new riders can handle a 600 if they keep their mind running smoothly. i have always (well, i can think of one sarcastic comment) been kind to the rookies who simply want to know more, and i also have always been a near full-gear rider. i apologize if i have made any unsuitable comments, and for my generalization in this thread that was based soley on my experience.
More SV's with GSXR fairings:
[Image: fd5d9d00.jpg]
[Image: fd5d9d01.jpg]

SVPerformance.net's R6 fairings for the SV:
[Image: newfrontsv-r6_thmb.gif]
[Image: newrsidesv-r6_thmb.gif]

and their SVS-style full fairings:
[Image: svsfull3_thmb.gif]
Quote:Originally posted by sac racer

dude, i have noticed the same, and have even questioned some of my statements. i was evaluating my words in some of the threads lately, and was actually going to post something very similar to yours. yes, i did start on a 600, and have always said that new riders can handle a 600 if they keep their mind running smoothly. i have always (well, i can think of one sarcastic comment) been kind to the rookies who simply want to know more, and i also have always been a near full-gear rider. i apologize if i have made any unsuitable comments, and for my generalization in this thread that was based soley on my experience.

right on man, and to be fair my comment barely even applies to you, i have noticed on several occasions that you stuck up for a rookie poster/rider or tried to answer a question when others opted to put the poster down.
Ya I noticed the same Hostility. Guys who get on this site and talk like they know everything and everyone else is a rookie are probably really pusses . They can't talk shit at the track or at the local hang out because they can't back it up. So they come here to talk shit because they know they don't have to back it up. On the internet you don't have to look a man in the eyes.

And just cause I'm young and crazy doesn't make me a rookie or a squid. I've been rideing for 14 years, and I allways ride in safety gear. That mean I've been rideing for more than half my life(I'm 22). I didn't just jump on an R6 and think I was a bad ass emidiatley . Hell , I still don't think i'm a bad ass. All I know is I enjoy rideing and racing. It just happens that I have more expierience than most people my age. If somebody wants to call me a squid, oh well. Its just childish name calling anyways.:haha: :haha:
im not sure if it is appropriate to assume that anyone here is a "puss" mindstabu; so, lets kill the insults, ok? mrrc51, im sure you know that my location and time constraints limit me, and i do think that you are one of the most dedicated track riders on the board. we all have to realize that everyone rides their machine in their own fashion, and that we cant sit here and try to prove that we are a better rider. be nice to eachother? why not? lets just ride on, and share our knowledge/experiences with eachother like fellow riders shouldCool
Ya your right man. My bad.
Quote:Originally posted by Mindstabu
And just cause I'm young and crazy doesn't make me a rookie or a squid. I've been rideing for 14 years, and I allways ride in safety gear. I didn't just jump on an R6 and think I was a bad ass emidiatley

Of course there's gonna be hostility towards new riders in your (and my) age group. Especially when they ask for info on a streetracing forum. The vast majority of people that come into SRO's bike forum and say they want to get a bike just want it because they saw ExtremeJudgementStunninDay and want to stunt and look cool like the riders in the videos. They are the same guys that cut through traffic on the freeway at triple digits and don't see a problem with it.

If we were to just say "Maybe you shouldn't start out on a liter bike, or ride in shorts, or try to pull wheelies on the freeway", they'd just blow us off and go out and do it anyway. They don't understand the level of commitment needed to ride on the street, or realize the consequences of their actions. Maybe if they were to have a close friend die because they bought a bike they couldn't handle because they wanted to be cool, then they'd understand what it's about. Back in May a coworker of mine bought a 91 Gix750 as his first bike because his friends all had bikes and he wanted to ride with them. Less than a month after he got it, he was dead. He went wide on a corner on Calaveras, hit a Civic head on and died on impact. I never got the chance to ride with him, so I can't say if he rode responsibly or not, but it's clear to me that at least at that one curve, he was riding beyond his limits, and that would be the last mistake he'd have the chance to make.

A lot of new young riders think it's a game, they don't take riding seriously. They make fun of people who always take the time to gear up every time they go for a ride, or those who bought a smaller less flashy bike. They're the ones who think that every time they ride, it's a race, that acceleration and top speed are more important than safety and proper riding skills. The ones who either don't know or don't care about where their limits are, they just HAVE to beat the other guy to the bottom of the hill. Who order a pipe and jet kit for their brand new bike before it's even left the dealership. When they get passed by another rider, they think they just need a larger bike to be faster, even though they aren't even riding close to the limits of their current bike.

90% of the people on this board could go out buy an R1, do whatever they want, then get themselves killed and I wouldn't give a fuck. But when someone I know wants to do it, it's an entirely different story.

Most of the regular riders here see your post, know what you're talking about, and have no problem with it. But when someone like I described above comes on, sees a post about racing other riders, they get the idea that that's the norm, so if course, they go out and ride hard, exceed their limits and kill themselves and possibly others.

People that post stuff like that get harrassed here because we don't want new riders to go out and kill themselves in order to look cool.
Blah blah blah...........

This is a fucking message baord. Hate me if you want to, call me an asshole if you want. I can care less about someone I don't know personally.

NOW LETS ALL GO UP HIGHWAY 9 AND RACE EACHOTHER. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Or should we all hold hands because people arent nice to eachother? YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Give me a fucking break you cyber riders.

I have yet to seen any of you guys attend a trackday or even do a real ride. After all the post and invites I give you all. I only got interest from 3 to 4 of you. All you guys talk about is how you ride and how to do this how to do that. You shouldn't ride that you shouldn't ride this.

actually mr rc51, your the one who talks the most shit. your the one who is always sarcastic to all the rookie riders and all the newbie posters. a guy comes by saying he going to get this bike or that and you act like hes a squid.you dont even know how long this person may be riding but you always have something sarcastic to say. a guy says he wants to go do this or that and you always have something sarcastic to say or negative. hes a squid, or post the roll eyes icon...

and you know what, i notice you on the other BARF board and you never talk any shit there. and here, you dont talk shit or clown anyone that you might run into in real life that knows how to ride..like afmsquid. to me, this is your playground where you can act like a bigshot because you have done a few trackdays and recognize that the riders here may not be advanced as you. but on the other barf board where you can get schooled you keep your mouth shut.
you come over here promoting canyon strafer track days and so on like your some big shot rider. dude, we can read at the barf forum, we dont need you to brag everytime you do a trackday and when they are available.

point is, you have a big attitude problem, and your ego is too big to fit into your helmet. i would never ride with you because i dont like your attitude. your rude, sarcastic and you always put other people down. i also dont like to ride with people who try to brag about their skills. keep on posting your cool trackday photos and clowning on the rookies.Rolleyes

i post here because were all riders and regardless of skill levers we can share information, thats what forums are about. not about putting people down and trying to inflate an ego.
yeah man, your the coolestRolleyes

i especially like how all you can do is curse. i can see that i hit a nerve because your just making all sorts of foul language comments.

its also nice how you try and threaten me, your just the coolest most fastest rider in the world who can also make online tuff guy threats.please do not hurt me with your speed or tuff guy image.Rolleyes

i wont sink to your level by making immature threats and comments. like i said i would never ride with someone like you. maybe thats why no one takes you up on the rides or trackdays...perhaps they just don't want to be around you.

even on this single thread, lets look at your responses:

Learn how to ride first, then worry about other things later. That bike will be plenty fast enough from the get go. Rolleyes

:haha::haha: :haha: Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

Squidboy:bow: :bow:

You might want to give up riding a motorcycle and take some english clsses. I wonder how someone has so much experience in riding and can't write worth shit

everything you post is with this attitude.

"WHAT BIKE IS A GOOD BIKE TO START OFF WITH? WHAT BIKE IS BETTER A R1 OR R6. BITCH PLEASE!!! Take your shit back to the SOCIALS ON BARF you lame fuck."

what wrong with that question, you started on a r6 didnt you...but nah.. your better than everyone else, so you can do that right? its one thing to help a newbie rider or rookie. you dont, you just talk shit and call them squids and tell them not to get a bike...real stand up guy.

this is a message board and you may post whatever you like. you have an attitude problem and you treat people like you're better than them. like i said, at the barf forum you stay in your place. but here, you treat people like your better than them and thats uncalled for.
peace.:hi:
BARF HAHA I don't go on BARF anymore, don't get me started with that.

they got tired of you over there to huh..:hi:
NO.K USA!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Check this out....Full Fairing for SV650s NewRider78 0 530 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: