Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improvised intercooler sprayer
If you liked my DIY boost controller, you'll love this...

I just uploaded some pics of my latest mod to my gallery. Here's a sample:

[Image: http://www.sromagazine.com/photopost/dat...ayer05.jpg]

Go to my SRO gallery to see the whole thing.
looks good Smile

how far across the intercooler does it spray? When I think of intercooler sprayers (water ones) I always picture them with multiple sprayers to cover the whole intercooler! But if your reaches the other side then that's pretty bad ass. How much water exactly does it spray?
oih yeah....how is it controlled? I couldn't tell from the picture! Button? some sort of pump?
PNG, is there anything you CAN'T do? :p But seriously, all I see is a hose attached to a pump with a push-thing on top. No electrical attachments or additional hoses. So I'm guessing it's not throttle controlled, boost controlled, or electronically attached to the ignition. Do you have to pop the hood and manually pump it?

Looks great, though. Also, what's in the bottle? Just water? It seems like a liquid from your pictures, anyway.
here's an idea and i know it'll work. Use the windshield washer pump to pump the water. Clean it out and use regular water in the pump. Then use the hose attached to the hood for the supply line. also have you heard of hitting it with a shot of nitrious. I've seen that before.
PNG- nice nice work man. i was all proud of my cd player improvisation and you have to come along and make me feel all pitiful hehe. cool though.. youre gonna have to dyno with spray and no spray for us.

supra- the nitrous doesn't have any effect past what propane or (very) cold water would.. and it's more expensive, so screw that eh?
I'll try and answer everyone all in one shot, so I don't get accused of artificially inflating my post count... :p

Matt sez:
Quote:how far across the intercooler does it spray? When I think of intercooler sprayers (water ones) I always picture them with multiple sprayers to cover the whole intercooler! But if your reaches the other side then that's pretty bad ass. How much water exactly does it spray?

If you look closely at the picture in the lead post of the thread, you can see that the IC frame on the near side is wet from the spray. When the car's stationary and the hood is up, the mist actually goes far enough to hit the passenger side inner fender. It covers the entire IC pretty thoroughly (with the exception of right next to the nozzle) while the car is stationary, although I have no idea what the pattern looks like when the car is in motion.

The reservoir holds about 1/2 liter of water, and it will spray about half of that on one "charge".

Then Matt sez:
Quote:oih yeah....how is it controlled? I couldn't tell from the picture! Button? some sort of pump?

Totally manual. There's a little valve right next to the clip that's holding it to the intercooler, so you can turn it on and off.

Daniel sez:
Quote: PNG, is there anything you CAN'T do? But seriously, all I see is a hose attached to a pump with a push-thing on top. No electrical attachments or additional hoses. So I'm guessing it's not throttle controlled, boost controlled, or electronically attached to the ignition. Do you have to pop the hood and manually pump it?

Looks great, though. Also, what's in the bottle? Just water? It seems like a liquid from your pictures, anyway.

As a matter of fact, there isn't. Wink

The sprayer is hand-pumped and is either on or off. It's there as a solution to the sky-high intercooler temperatures I've been getting when I dragrace the WRX. I was seeing IC surface temperatures of 150 degrees F or greater after the car sat for a while in the staging lanes. With this thing turned on, I can get the IC surface temperature to drop from 150 to 80 degrees in about a minute, with the car sitting still. My plan is to fill it, pump it up, and let it run while I'm in staging, and refill it between rounds. It's a pretty limited system in that it can't run continuously for very long, but considering the problem I'm trying to solve, it's about as simple a solution as I'm going to get.

Right now it's just water, but I'm going to experiment with a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol in order to take advantage of the higher heat transfer through rapid evaporation and see if it makes a meaningful difference.

XTC sez:
Quote:here's an idea and i know it'll work. Use the windshield washer pump to pump the water. Clean it out and use regular water in the pump. Then use the hose attached to the hood for the supply line. also have you heard of hitting it with a shot of nitrious. I've seen that before.

Yah, my long-lost evil twin at http://www.projectwrx.com has a setup like that. I considered building something similar, but it seemed like overkill when I had this thing sitting around. I'll test it out, and if it works well enough to warrant the effort, I'll install a proper IC sprayer plumbed into the windshield washer tank.
So it's a manual pump sprayer? Ooooh, did I call it or what? RolleyesBig Grin Keep us posted on how this thing works out for you. It's very interesting and something I'll copy if/when I get my IC.
Good stuff!!! Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Daniel
So it's a manual pump sprayer? Ooooh, did I call it or what? RolleyesBig Grin Keep us posted on how this thing works out for you. It's very interesting and something I'll copy if/when I get my IC.

What was the giveaway? The very clear pictures? :p
Quote:Originally posted by PNG

XTC sez:

Yah, my long-lost evil twin at http://www.projectwrx.com has a setup like that. I considered building something similar, but it seemed like overkill when I had this thing sitting around. I'll test it out, and if it works well enough to warrant the effort, I'll install a proper IC sprayer plumbed into the windshield washer tank.

i set up something similar. I used my rear washer and split it. I ran the two tubes down to the rear wheels...nice and smokey burnouts.
Can you notice any difference in power from it? I have heard different things about water-sprays, some say it makes a difference, others say it does not?

edit: you're setup would probably work better than on a front-mounted intercooler ja?
PNG did you ever see my post on that Aussie "intelligent" intercooler sprayer" i just did one on a 3rd gen 7 and it is sweeet works really really well

also just for those track demons out there i have done brake cooling systems similar to the ones used by the Trans Am guys- if anyones interested ill post up how to do it
Quote:Originally posted by 666TX3
Can you notice any difference in power from it? I have heard different things about water-sprays, some say it makes a difference, others say it does not?

edit: you're setup would probably work better than on a front-mounted intercooler ja?

I haven't tried it at the track yet, and it's mostly to keep the engine running at its normal timing, since the ECU wants to pull a bunch of advance out when the intake air temps get high. The car will run 9.60 in the 1/8th when everything works right - what I'm really trying to do is make that repeatable every time. I'll be sure to report back as soon as I find out if it works or not.
Quote:Originally posted by fusionsport
PNG did you ever see my post on that Aussie "intelligent" intercooler sprayer" i just did one on a 3rd gen 7 and it is sweeet works really really well

also just for those track demons out there i have done brake cooling systems similar to the ones used by the Trans Am guys- if anyones interested ill post up how to do it

Yup, I saw that. I had seen it before, too - the link got passed around on the SyTy list a while back. Pretty neat, but overkill for what I'm trying to do. Maybe if this el cheapo one works out, I might step up and install a proper system, but first I want to prove the concept.
JDGTI had his intercooler sprayer set up about the same way, excet he ued the windsheild wiperpump.

He had his a few months after the WRX came out.

We must have been on the right track.
hey PNG my 95 grand am runs a pretty high temp would you suggest riggin one to spray on the radator?? i'm curious to just try it for the hell of it.
Quote:Originally posted by 333racer
hey PNG my 95 grand am runs a pretty high temp would you suggest riggin one to spray on the radator?? i'm curious to just try it for the hell of it.

If your engine temps are pretty high I would suggest upgrading your radiator long before just spraying water on it. That would be more of a temporary solution to a serious problem.

PNG, I am interested in seeing how effective the intercooler water spray turns out to be. I was thinking of setting up something like that a while back but talked to a guy with a mr2 turbo that had it set up. His 1/4 times didn't really change at all, maybe .05 seconds better with it. Then I ran into some information about water/alcohol injection systems and started looking into them. Sounds alot more effective, not only does it dramatically lower intake temps but it allows you to run higher boost levels by preventing knocking. I will be installing an alcohol/water injection in the next couple weeks mostly for the benefit of knock prevention.
Quote:Originally posted by Red93R1

If your engine temps are pretty high I would suggest upgrading your radiator long before just spraying water on it. That would be more of a temporary solution to a serious problem.

PNG, I am interested in seeing how effective the intercooler water spray turns out to be. I was thinking of setting up something like that a while back but talked to a guy with a mr2 turbo that had it set up. His 1/4 times didn't really change at all, maybe .05 seconds better with it. Then I ran into some information about water/alcohol injection systems and started looking into them. Sounds alot more effective, not only does it dramatically lower intake temps but it allows you to run higher boost levels by preventing knocking. I will be installing an alcohol/water injection in the next couple weeks mostly for the benefit of knock prevention.

Well, like I mentioned, this is a least-possible-effort solution to a very specific problem; heat soak in the TMIC on my WRX. I'm not looking for a performance boost as much as I am trying to find a way to get it to run the way it ought to all the time. We'll see if it works the way I hope it will...
Ahh, OK. So is that a Misty Mate you used? I have one of those that is I had pondered using for an IC sprayer.
That's exactly what it is. Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by PNG

The car will run 9.60 in the 1/8th when everything works right -

Rexys go good on the 1/8th mile. damn 4WD!
Isn't it an auto to?
anybody know of an 1/8 to 1/4 mile calculator?.....
Damn dude you got any internship openings?
Quote:Originally posted by Sniper
anybody know of an 1/8 to 1/4 mile calculator?.....

Multiply your 1/8 mile time by 1.56.

But the formula doesn't work so well with cars that have traction problems.
thanks....does that work for speed too or just ET?...
Just ET... I don't know if there's a rule of thumb about trap speed.
50/50 alcohol water mix works tons better than just water on an intercooler fyi Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Z324U
50/50 alcohol water mix works tons better than just water on an intercooler fyi Wink

I bet it does. But alcohol costs money, and water is free. :p