Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
straight pipes
hey guys, my buddy was trying to run his truck with straight pipes, jus andering what are the panelties for that if you get pulled over by 50
SIZE=5]i see ricers,and i smell bacon[/SIZE]
HHHMM, from what i know, Yes. In pa, i see truck drive around all the time with straight pipes (or no pipes at all). Anyways, tell you friend to get something of an exhaust system. Cause straight pipes are way to load.
getting cought with no cat here in cali is a big penalty. dont know how big but i know its a big fine and possibly jail time i think. unless the truck is a '75 or older or something around there.
3DIMENSIONZ
Powered by Gerbils

90 Integra GSR Wink
80 Corolla 1.8 = drift machine :uhh: (gone)
Definitely Illegal in NY.
NYPO Wrote:Definitely Illegal in NY.

yep big fine here..

my question is, how can a PO verify you don't have a cat?

i mean, even if you have a test pipe, can't u say it's a high flow cat? how can they prove it? obviously they can't remove it right then and there to check.
98civicdx Wrote:yep big fine here..

i mean, even if you have a test pipe, can't u say it's a high flow cat? how can they prove it? obviously they can't remove it right then and there to check.

HighFlo cats are techinically illegal as well IIRC. Any change in the catalayst system I believe is illegal.
98civicdx Wrote:yep big fine here..

or they give u a state ref ticket and of course if u dont have a cat u wont pass. real hi-flow cats r legal. i have a carsound hi-flow cat and passed smog like a champ. i see alot of online stores selling resonators calling them hi-flow cats so dont get them mixed up.
3DIMENSIONZ
Powered by Gerbils

90 Integra GSR Wink
I Believe That If Someone In California Gets Caught Without A Cat The Fine Is Around $500-$1500 Not Sure But Its Pretty Expensive So Dont Think About It Just Leave Your Stock Cat And Break All The Inside Stuff
cooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllll
SIZE=5]i see ricers,and i smell bacon[/SIZE]
LostRacer Wrote:HighFlo cats are techinically illegal as well IIRC. Any change in the catalayst system I believe is illegal.
absolutely untrue. it is illegal to tamper with or remove emissions equipment (including catalytic converters) on street cars, but it is NOT illegal to REPLACE them with aftermarket alternatives. ergo, aftermarket hi-flow cats are legal. the question is whether or not they will work well enough to allow you to pass smog.
Up here you only need a cat to pass air care, then you can take them off util next time to pass air care..
02 Grand Am GT - stock
90 Cutlass Surpreme Int. 2.3 Quad 4 H.O - CAI, custom header, 2.5" exhaust, spraying a 55 shot
04 F-150 Lariat - stock
04 Civic Si - Intake
Swift Wrote:getting cought with no cat here in cali is a big penalty. dont know how big but i know its a big fine and possibly jail time i think. unless the truck is a '75 or older or something around there.

damn, jailtime? someone clearifiy

anyone know the actual estimate of a fine for not having a real cat converter? or know anyone whom received a fine for one.
open exhaust actually costs you power:lame:
No matter what you do , spend or tinker on with your ricer,
IT'S STILL RICE !

NASCAR COMPETITION LICENSE HOLDER and AMA LIFE MEMBER
who said anything about open exhaust? straight pipes is an exhaust with no cats. tru open exhaust may cost u power on a stock engine but u dont see any drag cars with full exhaust do u?
3DIMENSIONZ
Powered by Gerbils

90 Integra GSR Wink
When someone says "straight pipes", that usually means no muffler, no cats, just straight pipes from the exhaust manifold all the way out. It is a term that has been around since the first person modded a model T. Harley riders sometimes run straight pipes on their motorcycles. If you run straight pipes in Ca., you are in violation of several sections. You violate the emissions sections, and the muffler sections. All however are infractions and the fines vary. If your vehicle is a 75 or older, the cat section wouldn't apply, but the lack of a muffler would.
Neekz Wrote:Up here you only need a cat to pass air care, then you can take them off util next time to pass air care..
We dont have anything for emissions.
Swift Wrote:who said anything about open exhaust? straight pipes is an exhaust with no cats. tru open exhaust may cost u power on a stock engine but u dont see any drag cars with full exhaust do u?
Rolleyes not on a nitro car , but those engines develop 1000lbs of downforce with zoomies. on a gas motor you need cylinder scavanging for peak power. believe it or not:lame:
No matter what you do , spend or tinker on with your ricer,
IT'S STILL RICE !

NASCAR COMPETITION LICENSE HOLDER and AMA LIFE MEMBER
I had a friend who got caught running a straight pipe here in california. The CHP actually got down on the ground and looked, there was no mistaking his test pipe for a high flow cat, they didn't even look anything alike. The fine for that was I believe 375. its also not a fix it ticket. He also got a ticket for a modified exhaust which was a fix it ticket, but the chp office said that the modified cat could only be taken up with the B.A.R. I don't really know what the B.A.R. has to do with a ticket, but that is what the chp officer said.
hondab16b Wrote:I Believe That If Someone In California Gets Caught Without A Cat The Fine Is Around $500-$1500 Not Sure But Its Pretty Expensive So Dont Think About It Just Leave Your Stock Cat And Break All The Inside Stuff

Sorry dude, but the CHP Reff can take your cat out and inspect it if they want to. Basically they can just hook up your car to the sniffer and check the emissions levels versus known stock levels. And then... yes, you're screwed.
^right at the spot?

get 2 half plate shields and cover your midpipe and hope the officer falls for it
Hmmm, we would never think of that one..... :doh5:
SgtGrant Wrote:Hmmm, we would never think of that one..... :doh5:

LOL. Just had to laugh about this response. :tard3:
wait, you mean you don't take everything at face value and just assume everyone is telling the truth???
Depends on if they are a cute female with a box of Krispy Kreme's on the passenger seat......
^ Lol

what are you gonna do though? demand us to unbolt the cat on the spot to closer examine it?
If the officer figures out you have an illegal cat, then you get a cite. No different than any other violation. It wouldn't require unbolting it to tell that it isn't a stock cat. The officer would simply cite you and send you to the ref. Then you would have to swap the stock cat back in.
Hmm...Ive actually heard stories from LA that some cops has something that they can stick in your exhaust to see if your cats been tampered/hollowed out. Think of the snake that plummers use to unclog pipes.
[Image: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_ima...999_61.jpg]
Not a Drift Virgin ANyMore... :tard3:
In L.A.? The drivers arm?
why not just leave the damn cats on, a full size truck weighs 5000 lbs, what gain are you going to see by taking out the cats and polluting my air?

straight pipes= it is pretty self explanitory isn't it.
^few cars can see a reasonable gain in power going catless..

doesnt the NHRA draggers go catless as well? or is a regulation of the rules
too many e-racers here

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flame out of exhaust pipes... BMWbadass 12 396 07-18-2001, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Red93R1
  got pulled over for exhibition of speed and set the cop straight CLpower 0 349 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How illeagal is straight-piping? ElectronLude 0 616 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  The loudest pipes I've ever heard SgtGrant 0 539 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Strait Pipes 90TalonTsiAWD 0 125 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: