Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
***Help Put A Track In The Bay Area!***
Melissa from Phantom racing has been talking to San Jose, and trying to get a track put in. But SJPD Said they didn’t want it for a number of reasons one being the amount of people to come to the already over-populated city. The police department does not want to put out anymore men to the streets as they don't have the money and don't want to put forth the extra time. They haven't got any place for a drag strip, as all the land is bought and has building plans in the making.

She was advised to go to Morgan Hill, as it is still a small city, and the extra flow of people could bring more business. I was also told that there is more than enough land out there to put a track, and that the extra flow could provide more funding for your Police Department. The track alone will bring in at least $17,400 a week. But She Has been told Morgan Hill doesn’t want one either because they say there isn’t enough interest and it would be a waste of money to put a track there and not have any business.

So she set up a petition, and have people sign it to show there interested. But for it to be legal it has to be hand written signatures and not the online/email ones. So this makes it a lot harder because we have to get people to sign the papers in person. So we decided that Next Saturday, we will be at Starbucks from 1-4 with our petitions plus info on the “Drive for the Cause”. Come sign and say hi.

Hopefully you will plan a g2g with your club/forum and come by in the masses to get these papers signed so we can finally get a track close by. Thanks for taking your time reading this, and I hope you come by and help us out. All help is appreciated.

Please spread the word and get as many people as you know to stop by and sign! Also post this on as many boards/forums as you can!

Blossom Hill & Santa Terressa
854 Blossom Hill Road
San Jose, California 92109
(408) 224-7574

Any More Questions Contact Me (dean) At 408-515-6783
Which starbucks will this be at? I would like to help spread the word to other forums and generate more interest.
I will get more info on the starbucks (addy and location) soon!
A real track or just a drag strip?
im down
i hope it has a road course. we already have a enough local drag strip.
Yea just let me know where and i will be sure to attend and ill try and get others to go also
I spend my lunch money on mods
PM or IM me the full info and I will gladly put this up on BAT and show support. This is a great idea and I hope it falls through..

Good luck,
Jeff
854 Blossom Hill Road
(408) 224-7574

Deanh8 Wrote:Blossom Hill & Santa Terressa
854 Blossom Hill Road
(408) 224-7574

thanks it's now up on BAT.. good luck with this :thumbup
I hear SRO tried this a few years back, what happened and how did they go about it?
PMed Ya
Deanh8 Wrote:I hear SRO tried this a few years back, what happened and how did they go about it?

It was actually Thunder Alley who was owned by Andy and his wife from Andy's autosport that tried it. They were trying to get a track build on the airport by eastridge. But I don't know what happened to it.
SjCiViCHB Wrote:It was actually Thunder Alley who was owned by Andy and his wife from Andy's autosport that tried it. They were trying to get a track build on the airport by eastridge. But I don't know what happened to it.

they tried and did not succeed. this money revolves around $$ man.
http://SpoolinPerformance.com
Bay area turbo installs and fabrication.
log manifold/IC/dwnpipe.dmptube

93 b20 Civic Turbo- stln
91 all motor LS integra- sld
gizzer 4Dr- built & Turboed
Theres a meet at Redstone Motors in Mtn View that same day. Maybe yall can move some petitions there too maybe?
It will never EVER happen. I'm sorry guys. I, along with several other people (one of which is a marketing and negotiating genius), worked on this project for close to 3 years. We spoke with San Jose, Fremont, Milpitas, and Oakland. All of which shot the project down due to the noise that would be generated, the environmental cost/impact, traffic concerns, and the problems with re-zoning the area for the track.

Best of luck to you if you think you guys can do it, but from what I've seen in meeting with City Hall from all of the above mentioned cities, I don't think you are going to get anywhere with it.
"Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan
We have been talking a litle bit about getting something set up on 831r.com.

My Ideas were to create a nonprofit org.
Take all the proceeds from the track after payouts and put it back in to the education system (The city that let you build)

Get the public to back you with something like this. Moms don't want to see kids out racing, but they sure as hell want money in the education system right? Explain to them that our shitty CA government isn't putting the money in to education but we want to. That will for sure get some people that mormally wouldn't vote for it to go with it!!

Think out of the box guys.. A lot of people have tried to do something like this and have been shut down.

Why not target Salinas!! More cheap land.. Mogan Hill is mostly people that have left San Jose to be in a quieter neighborhood. They don't want a track and their education system is pretty good already. Salinas needs help and I bet people would be more willing to listen.
LIL SS Wrote:My Ideas were to create a nonprofit org.
Take all the proceeds from the track after payouts and put it back in to the education system (The city that let you build)
Tried that. Investors weren't having any of it. They wanted a return on their investment. On top of that, every Police force in every city we spoke with were adimantly against the idea of a track. The few cops we had on our side made no difference.

LIL SS Wrote:Why not target Salinas!! More cheap land.. Mogan Hill is mostly people that have left San Jose to be in a quieter neighborhood. They don't want a track and their education system is pretty good already. Salinas needs help and I bet people would be more willing to listen.
Again, tried that.

What you folks fail to realize is that there is a whole spin machine that kicks into gear when you try to lobby for something. For example, you say "We want to build a track for safe, legal racing that will rid the sorrunding communities of streetracing and contribute to the community through education and charity" and what comes out of the spin machine and into the public's ear is "A new structure in the middle of our city that will create traffic problems, tremendous noise pollution, crime, and bring an element to town that none of us want, ALL ON YOUR TAX DOLLARS!!" Regardless if it's true or not, that is what they hear and that is what stays in their minds.

If you guys are serious about this, you need to be on your A game and have all of the research done before hand. Where will the track go? What kind of racing will be done there? How are you going to get around and/or work with the EPA? Who is going to fund it? Who is going to fund the Environmental study? How will this benefit the city? Can you cite examples of other cities that have benefitted from racetracks? What kind of zoning do you need? How loud will it be? When will the races happen? How are you going to pay for security? Fire? Medical? Who is going to do the construction? Is SCCA or NASA involved? Who supports this idea? Who is against it? Why are they for/against it? etc., etc.

These are just a few of the questions that you will be faced with if you make it in front of City Counsel. If you can't answer these questions to their satisfaction, you will be shut down very quickly.

I'm not trying to rain on your parades, I'm just trying to let you guys know what you will be facing when the time comes from someone that has already been there.
"Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan
i guess were stuck with t-hill, infinion, buttonwillow etc...
damn that's hella work...
That's the thing.. Everyone seems to have this idea it's easy. It aint. I know that and so do some others. It needs to be a long term goal, 5 years or so. It also needs to have the right PR. Marketing it to the right people is key. Gwt mothers on your side, it's a real good place to start!!
LIL SS, just out of curiosity, how many people here will still be into the racing scene in 5 yrs.? Byron makes a lot of good points, and he has just scratched the surface when it comes to the issues. I've been involved in city government for about 20 yrs. Even a project that has overwhelming support from every segment of the community (very rare to non-existent) takes forever to make happen. Now bring in a business/project that has a huge built in resistance and you are in for a treat. A few sympathetic mothers aren't going to over ride the rest of the community outcry. Track racing, like street racing, is actually a very very small segment of the community. Most cities don't view the hassle worth the benefit. Your best bet is to contact every city (mostly down south) and see what it took for it to happen there. I'll bet that most of them didn't last long. You also face a huge problem these days with budgets being way down. No city or county is going to support anything that will cost them one cent more to address.
what about Sears Point ? :naughty:
No matter what you do , spend or tinker on with your ricer,
IT'S STILL RICE !

NASCAR COMPETITION LICENSE HOLDER and AMA LIFE MEMBER
Most of your major tracks don't cater to the street racing crowd. Some tracks are open to the public to come and make runs. However, the folks that tend to use the name brand tracks have sunks some bucks into their rides and it has gone beyond a fleeting fad that dissappears when the bills start rolling in and time is short.
VETTE Wrote:what about Sears Point ? :naughty:

Sears Pt would be good enough if they did Test and Tunes. The only drag racing they have for the public is their Wednesday Night Bracket Races. At best you get like 5 runs in. At worst, 2. Maybe someone should lobby with Infineon to try and have them open the track for Test and Tunes.
Define irony...

Paris Wrote:Read and comprehend before you write.
sac raceway has t&t's all the time.
yozsi Wrote:sac raceway has t&t's all the time.

Oh really? :rol leyes: Sacramento is also about an extra hours drive from the South Bay. Sears Pt wouldn't be a long drive but they don't have Test and Tunes. Hence my suggestion. Thanks for the help though, Isaac Newton.
Define irony...

Paris Wrote:Read and comprehend before you write.
SGTGrant..

Trust me.. I know that most people here wont really be in to racing in 5-10 years. There are a few of us that will be. Not to knock 90% of the people that are on this board, but your right. As people get older and more responsability comes in to their life, they get away from racing. It's really too bad.

One of my best memories as a kid was watching the races at Baylands for the very last time it was open. The Hawaiin punch car scared the crap out of me and the 2 jet cars at the end of the night were awesome. They warmed me up when I was at the top of the bleachers.

There are soo many people into different hobbies. It's a shame that there are places for people to go watch movies, go see baseball games, football games, hockey games, places to fish, hunt but no place to go race.

A day at the races was time my father and I got to spend together, just like a lot of fathers do the above mentioned with their kids.

Ya ya.. I know. The above aren't noisey. They aren't putting people at danger.

Just really sad that we are stuck in such a shitty situation!! I really can't wait until the girlfriend is out of school and I can convince her to move away from this shit ass state. Somewhere where the people care about their kids education and aren't second to last in the rankings. A state where the money goes in to usefull things keeping the kids occupied and I'm no longer at the top of the tax bracket in the US getting shit on trying to enjoy my hobby just like everyone else.

Not all of us like to knit Smile
Kauo HeiHei Wrote:Oh really? :rol leyes: Sacramento is also about an extra hours drive from the South Bay. Sears Pt wouldn't be a long drive but they don't have Test and Tunes. Hence my suggestion. Thanks for the help though, Isaac Newton.
okay, maybe i didnt know what city your abode resides in.
I think there are still opportunities for people who want to get into racing to do so even absent a convenient track that allows people to run their daily driver car. Even back in the 70's when I was a teenager I knew guys who were getting into racing by doing the dirt track racing, sprint car, and others. What it usually took was sponsors to get people started. You have to look at the economics of it. Why would anyone want to spend millions of dollars setting up a track that would primarily be used by a person who only spends a few thousand on fixing up their daily driver to then make a few passes on a strip? If you are going to invest that kind of investment money you want to attract large corporate sponsors, name racers, huge crowds which equates to big money and a return on your investment. The simple reality is that there is not money in catering to the street racer crowd. Even shops that sell aftermarket goodies for imports come and go. They rarely last that long because the market is just too specialized. Make a note of the shops that you frequent now and see where they are in a year or two. Most will have gone out of business.
MY TEAM RACED 30+ TIMES LAST YEAR.
All at sanctioned racetracks.
We travelled 2 to 8 hours per track.
If you're worried about only getting 2-5 runs, then why not roadrace or go circletrack racing ?
If you want to race and have fun , do it at a track.
No matter what you do , spend or tinker on with your ricer,
IT'S STILL RICE !

NASCAR COMPETITION LICENSE HOLDER and AMA LIFE MEMBER
When is the San Jose Gran Prix supposed to go down?
I think if that race makes money for the city they would be more inclined to the idea of a "race" track

Max
max_misawa Wrote:When is the San Jose Gran Prix supposed to go down?

Max

think its gonna be end of July, around there
so did this signing already happen?
good luck man, keep it up
i wish there was a local track that wasn't a hour and 30 min drive away
We had a great turnout for our petition signing. We will be doing it next weekend same time 1-4, at the KHOLS parking lot on the side of khols and In-n-out on blossom hill/santa teresa.. we will be on the khols side FACING santa teresa... We apologize for the confusion with starbucks, but it was crazy crowded there... next weekend we will have a big sign for the petition that you will be able to see from the street to fix the confusion... anyhow, if you missed your chance, or know anyone who missed it, please come!
Heres An Update...

Quote:Update:

The news of this petition is spreading fast, and more and more big companies and support from our people keeping coming. I am one helping to Organize all this and make it happen. I would like to inform everyone that we now have the NHRA and Nascar in Support of our drive towards a track, as far as support were talking funding/building. One other is Numi in Fremont, they'll provide the land and build the track, and if anything Sign our petition with up to 6000 signatures, by mid April we will know more on what Numi has in store for us. There’s also a women in Morgan Hill ready to give up her land for a track only, that we’ll be getting in touch with. We also have support from speedsceneracing.com a broadcast radio show. Some of you probably have heard that Sac Raceway might be closing down as early as 2 yrs from now. The most important thing to get this to pass is not through city approval as much as it is resident approval. The city will not approve anything with out their residence approval. The same with building freeways, airports, constructing businesses, annoying neighbors, etc. all must be petitioned to some degree, if it’s changing land zoning, simple approval for a small business if not in proper zoning or trying to kick your neighbor out.
I’ll keep everyone informed as much as possible making visit to all the forums in support or listing our petition

Thank you
SoL Arioto
Saturday March 12th. 1-4pm
KHOLS parking lot on the side of khols and In-n-out on blossom hill/santa teresa.. we will be on the khols side FACING santa teresa.

890 Blossom Hill Road
San Jose, CA 95123

EDIT: PLEASE POST THIS ON AS MANY FORUMS AS YOU CAN!!!
For the love of god, it's spelt KOHLS
Maybe Khols is German for "dyslexic".......
hahah great.
aint gonna happen.
dood put a track everyone would go
thanks Dean for posting the update :

Quote:Update:

The news of this petition is spreading fast, and more and more big companies and support from our people keeping coming. I am one helping to Organize all this and make it happen. I would like to inform everyone that we now have the NHRA in Support of our drive towards a track, as far as support were talking funding/building. One other is Nummi in Fremont, they'll provide the land and build the track, and if anything Sign our petition with up to 6000 signatures, by mid April we will know more on what Nummi has in store for us. There’s also a women in Morgan Hill ready to give up her land for a track only, that we’ll be getting in touch with. We also have support from speedsceneracing.com a broadcast radio show. Some of you probably have heard that Sac Raceway might be closing down as early as 2 yrs from now. The most important thing to get this to pass is not through city approval as much as it is resident approval. The city will not approve anything with out their residence approval. The same with building freeways, airports, constructing businesses, annoying neighbors, etc. all must be petitioned to some degree, if it’s changing land zoning, simple approval for a small business if not in proper zoning or trying to kick your neighbor out.
I’ll keep everyone informed as much as possible making visit to all the forums in support or listing our petition

Thank you
SoL Arioto

This weekend the on the 20th will be @ eastridge facing Capital Exp. where the bus stops are. IF IT DOESN"T RAIN.

I also have comfirmed from a guy that has spoken to the owner of SACway, That he really considering Closing down within a year or so, closer then what we thought, He also was told they really dont like us bay area people coming up their and crowding their track from residents.

I also hear there will be another track opening up north of Sac another hour away

I'll keep the updates coming. Thanks for everyone helping out and spreading the word

~SoL~
friday is gonan rain dude

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another Bay AREA MEET! May 15 05 jdizzy92 48 2,121 05-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Street Guy
  tires what's good place to buy them the san jose/fremont area? trdspd 12 426 04-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Last Post: EstimaTCR
  Track Day! king0f@llR@cers 6 312 04-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Last Post: djrockz415
  wtf is there to do in the bay area? project DC2 20 1,265 03-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Last Post: integlstrike
  a/c recharge in bay area ElectronBlueGSR 3 192 03-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Last Post: integlstrike
  Good and Cheap polishing the bay area??? EP GOLDIE 8 515 02-14-2005, 12:38 AM
Last Post: project DC2
  looking to see some good races in the 408 area moyz 18 792 02-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Last Post: u2sdc2
  STOLEN BAY AREA: XR4 and Enkei Ewing Wheels TJ86 1 294 02-03-2005, 12:55 AM
Last Post: DRFT_KE70wagN
  Feb 6, 2005, Bay Area Tuners Meet EF8 All Motor 28 992 02-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Ritz S14
  need a smog place around 925, 510 area XVR_CRX12 4 263 01-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Last Post: daa90crx