Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cylinder bore rust?
Im going to start cleaning my engine ( its a 305 on an engine stand in my garage) ive stript it down to just the bare block. Ive had a few people say the easiest way to get all the crap off of the outside of the engine is to power wash it. So that is what im going to do. I just want to know if this could cause the cylinder bores to rust? or any other part of the engine. Thanks in advance.
Accent_tuner Wrote:domestics have that thing... its called torque.
Yes, it will cause everything to flash-rust if you don't get it dry right away. If you have a compressor and a big can of WD-40, it shouldn't be an issue, though. Right after you get it clean (and I mean RIGHT after, not like an hour later), use the compressor and an air gun to blow-dry the block, paying special attention to the bores and machined surfaces like the crank journals, bores, deck, oil filter pad, etc. Then, hit all the aforementioned places with the W(ater)D(isplacement)-40 and you'll be just fine.
if the bores do rust, nothing a quick hone wouldnt fix.
yozsi Wrote:if the bores do rust, nothing a quick hone wouldnt fix.

My plans are to bore the block.

What would everyone rec. for boring? Max? why? adn how much does machine work usually(sp?) cost?
If a shop is going to bore it anyway, get it clean enough to handle and let them hot tank it. They will clean it and protect the surfaces from rust as a normal part of their work.
If you spend a lot of energy cleaning, they may have charged you for the work anyway.
The hot tank process will also clean the warer jackets inside where you can't get to.
Ask them first.
yes can anyone read this?
rickthe Wrote:yes can anyone read this?
yes
Is there anyone who can help me with a 1968 camaro rearend problem? I really need some input
rickthe Wrote:Is there anyone who can help me with a 1968 camaro rearend problem? I really need some input
shoot...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rust Removal Apok929 0 313 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: