Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sgt. Grant: Vehicle Code 27156 Help please
For Sgt Grant:
This weekend I was ticketed the East Bay.
I was rightfully pulled over for no front plate. I was then asked to pop the hood, and I complied no questions asked. While the officer stood their glancing over a very complex stock engine, I decided to break the silence a the polished aftermarket intake which caught his eye. I said “That intake is CARB legal.” He quickly replied he did not see the EO number, he was right, I’m not sure where it was, the strut tower brace may have been covering it, I haven’t had time to search for it yet. I was asked to return the vehicle. I was then given a citation for no front plate and “Modified Emissions” under VC 27156 (h or b, he had poor handwriting so it is difficult to tell). For the VC 27156 violation it has the boxed checked “No” for correctable.
I just have a few quick questions.

1) I have found online documentation through ARB that the Akimoto Intake for the vehicle I own is supposed to be CARB legal and have an EO #. Please refer to: http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/device...-354-1.pdf
If I can find the EO number on the intake or have the company send me such a sticker do I have an alternative to going straight to the State Referee and paying the fine?

2) The car is up for sale. I have a potential buyer in Florida. If I were to sell this car having not corrected this ticket what would happen? Do I need to correct it before selling the car out of state? I don’t wish to give a potential buyer trouble that belongs to me.

I have looked for these answers myself and cannot find solid documentation on either.

Thank your for your time sir,
Crewkip
Well cali cops are sure as hell a lot smarter then our central florida sheriffs.
[Image: http://www.sromagazine.com/photopost/dat...c00043.JPG]
oldstormowner Wrote:compaired to something like a z300 nissan , a skyline or mazda rx9
and i know skylines are heavy bitches too but there awd makes up for it
The way I see it you have two choices. One, you can go to court with your documentation and show the judge that the intake is in fact legal and the judge can toss that violation. A trip to a referee prior to court would also be beneficial. This would take the violation off your record, although you still take the hit for the no front plate. Two, you can simply pay the fine and sell the car to the Florida guy. Having a ticket on a car in Ca. probably won't effect a Florida buyer, especially if you pay off the fine. Florida equipment laws are another story. It will be up to the buyer to make sure everything is right before they register it there.
SgtGrant Wrote:The way I see it you have two choices. One, you can go to court with your documentation and show the judge that the intake is in fact legal and the judge can toss that violation. A trip to a referee prior to court would also be beneficial. This would take the violation off your record, although you still take the hit for the no front plate. Two, you can simply pay the fine and sell the car to the Florida guy. Having a ticket on a car in Ca. probably won't effect a Florida buyer, especially if you pay off the fine. Florida equipment laws are another story. It will be up to the buyer to make sure everything is right before they register it there.

Akimoto has sent the EO sticker.

Last few questions. You say having a Ca ticket on a car sold to Florida "probably" would not harm me or the buyer. I have learned to try to find documentation or get such things in writing. I have called around and have not been able to do either. My worry is I will pay the fine, sell the car, and a month or so later I will get something in the mail saying the car needs to be brought in, impounded, I have another fine, etc. I can see this happening especially if he does not register the car in Florida in a timely fashion. Where could I go, or whom may I speak with to get such information in a more solid form than an online forum? I don't suppose there is a way, once I have sold the car, to have may name taken off it's current Ca registration?

Knowing what you know about this situation, which route would you select at this point.
Thank you sir
Crewkip
Well, with Ca. and Florida they are apples and oranges. Once you tell Ca. DMV that you have sold the car, Ca. DMV doesn't really care about it anymore if it is gone from the state. Ca. DMV has a specific form that you fill out delclaring that the car is sold and no longer in your possession. This form is specifically for those scenarios where the new buyer doesn't comply with the law and the seller doesn't want it coming back to bite them. The Florida DMV folks might have an issue with something on the car, but they really don't have any recourse against a Ca. resident. So, they will put the onus on the new owner, if they are in Florida, to have everything compliant with Florida law.
SgtGrant Wrote:Well, with Ca. and Florida they are apples and oranges. Once you tell Ca. DMV that you have sold the car, Ca. DMV doesn't really care about it anymore if it is gone from the state. Ca. DMV has a specific form that you fill out delclaring that the car is sold and no longer in your possession. This form is specifically for those scenarios where the new buyer doesn't comply with the law and the seller doesn't want it coming back to bite them. The Florida DMV folks might have an issue with something on the car, but they really don't have any recourse against a Ca. resident. So, they will put the onus on the new owner, if they are in Florida, to have everything compliant with Florida law.

I think I will go ahead and pay the fine, take it to court, and sell the car. I will place the EO stickers, which are now in hand, on the intake and take pictures for evidence. Hopefully it is not an issue if the car is sold and out of state before the court date. If it is i guess I lose the fine money but still sold it without the buyer having to wait much longer.
Oh, as long as I pay the fine will I have any trouble registering another car here in Ca, in terms of this ticket causing me any trouble?
As long as you have dealt with it either way, DMV won't bother you. If you pay the fine, it is over and done with. Make sure you submit the form to DMV asap after selling it though releasing liability in the vehicle.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CVC code mistake or is it? (Confused) asl3tic5 6 749 09-16-2005, 12:35 AM
Last Post: y2Ldude
  Officer Grant, What would you do in this situation? Ryans 14 1,417 03-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Last Post: djrockz415
  Question for Sgt. Grant lwpat 14 968 02-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Last Post: 98civicdx
  PROS vs. CONS of buying salvaged vehicle ElectronBlueGSR 11 673 05-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Last Post: <3
  Sgt Grant....is this harassment? Tragedy 27 1,165 05-01-2003, 02:47 PM
Last Post: SgtGrant
  *Sgt. Grant, vehicle code unclear! pls help clear up~! eLuder 8 452 03-03-2002, 03:47 PM
  SGT GRANT: Got pulled over for exhaust!!! ElectronBlueGSR 20 853 03-01-2002, 01:18 AM
Last Post: krzyxrevver12
  SGT Grant ? before monday AM! ez5k 13 390 02-07-2002, 01:45 AM
Last Post: Wolf
  Att: Sgt Grant aUTOxDC2 13 388 02-03-2002, 09:26 AM
  A question for SGT Grant Import545 2 207 02-03-2002, 08:55 AM