Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spark plugs on a 03 CBR 600?
This may sound really dumb... but.

My cousin has an 03 F4i with 20k miles on it. He knows how to ride, but he doens't know much about upkeep. From lookin at pics, I think the plugs are probalby under the air fliter(which is under the gas tank). I know cars a lot better than I know bikes. So should I treat his bike like a car? Or is it better off having him take it to a shop? I really doubt it can be that hard, since I've been working on cars for 6 years now. He talks to one of his fellow "riders"(I guess that's what you call them..) and he says Hondas are pretty reliable and they really don't need their valves adjusted often(or at all), since they do carry the "Honda" name.

What should be done to make this bike as good new? He also says(from riding through twisties) that seems like his brakes aren't as responsive. To my knowledge everything on the bike is original. He does have some kind of slip on muffler, new brake fluid, and air filter. So I suggest that he swap out the pads, and maybe use Motul dot 4 brake fluid.

So yeah..thoughts?

Hate to sound like a total noob. :rant2:
HE NEED TO CHANGE..AIR FILTER, (MAYBE K&N) AND GET SS BRAKE LINES, DOT 4 FLUID, REBLEED THE BRAKE. 20K MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO GET UR VALVES ADJUSTED..HONDA OR NOT. IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE SPARK, JUST REMOVE THE TANK, THAN YOU WILL HAVE ACCESS.

SORRY BOUT CAP LOCK @ WORK.
Thanks Evan.
I'm assuming that's the same with my bike 98 F3? Just yank off the tank and the air filter and spark plugs can be reached easily? Anybody know the spark plug gap on a 98 600 F3?
2001 Dakota - sold
1998 Honda CBR 600 - stock
North American Engine & Transmission
1-866-853-4420
01Dakota Wrote:I'm assuming that's the same with my bike 98 F3? Just yank off the tank and the air filter and spark plugs can be reached easily? Anybody know the spark plug gap on a 98 600 F3?

same thing =]..duno bout the gap :p got any rectifer problem with the f3?
No the F3 runs really strong, I'm actually very impressed with how well it's riding. I could use a little more snap though, next summer I think I will be upgrading to a newer bike 2003 R6 perhaps.
2001 Dakota - sold
1-866-853-4420
01Dakota Wrote:I'm assuming that's the same with my bike 98 F3? Just yank off the tank and the air filter and spark plugs can be reached easily? Anybody know the spark plug gap on a 98 600 F3?

I didn't need to take off the tank or anything to get at my plugs (95 F3). Just go from the front of the bike and you can get at the plugs from there. Just bypass the radiator (but my friend says this is cheating since I have small hands). I guess normal people go through the side access panels. To get at the air filter though, you'd have to pull off the tank. I don't remember the gap spec offhand, but do have a PDF of the manual around here somewhere.
When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad, I'm better.
crow Wrote:I didn't need to take off the tank or anything to get at my plugs (95 F3). Just go from the front of the bike and you can get at the plugs from there. Just bypass the radiator (but my friend says this is cheating since I have small hands). I guess normal people go through the side access panels. To get at the air filter though, you'd have to pull off the tank. I don't remember the gap spec offhand, but do have a PDF of the manual around here somewhere.

yes thats that cheater way :p.. its hard to work with, tank is easy to take out. but if your hand fit in there then + to you =]...
crow Wrote:I didn't need to take off the tank or anything to get at my plugs (95 F3). Just go from the front of the bike and you can get at the plugs from there. Just bypass the radiator (but my friend says this is cheating since I have small hands). I guess normal people go through the side access panels. To get at the air filter though, you'd have to pull off the tank. I don't remember the gap spec offhand, but do have a PDF of the manual around here somewhere.

If you could find that pdf I would greatly appreciate it, unfortunately I dont have a manual and could see it being helpfull.
2001 Dakota - sold
1-866-853-4420