Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2003 Cobra or 2002 Z06???????
Ok besides all the ford guys saying cobra and the chevy guys saying vette, Im looking for an unbiased opinions on which car would be the better choice. This car will be daily driven. Keep that in mind. Either will be required to handle about 500 whp. The cobra would probably be twin turboed where as the z06 will be procharged, both cost almost identical in price however which would handle the power better as well as which would be quicker from say a 40 mph roll and off the line? Most opinions think the cobra will be quicker off the line but slower from the roll. Any opinions??????
if you want 500 hp the cobra can do that with a ported stock blower. the zo6 could get there with a nice heads/cam package
Yes but can the bottom end of the cobra really handle 500 whp for very long? And how about the LS1 can it?
The bottom end of the Cobra will be stronger than the bottom end on the LS1 for the simple fact that it is built to handle boost. The car comes off the factory floor with 400hp. It'll handle another 100hp fine. Why bother twin turboing when a Kenne Bell blower will get you above that 500hp mark for much less?
Define irony...

Paris Wrote:Read and comprehend before you write.
cobra's bottom end is built with top name aftermarket forged parts and can handle 600hp no problem. the stock LS bottom end is about at it's limit at 500
Thats for the feedback, but Im questioning the bottom end of the 4.6 handling 600 hp, a guy at the track at 515 whp with a stock cobra bottom end and dumped oil all over the track. This was the main reason I started this thread as I was originally fully going cobra until that happened.
terrynjulia03 Wrote:Thats for the feedback, but Im questioning the bottom end of the 4.6 handling 600 hp, a guy at the track at 515 whp with a stock cobra bottom end and dumped oil all over the track. This was the main reason I started this thread as I was originally fully going cobra until that happened.
prolly over revved that sob. because those 4.6 modulars are beasts.
well, i'm sure there are stock z06's that break their bottom ends too
Ditto the vette being much more driveable than the cobra.

But dont listen to gramps about the modding. Wink

My 600rwhp car is a piece of cake to putter around in.

But if you stick a procharger on a stock motor, plan on rebuilding/upgrading at some point. It could be a week, it could be a year, but you are definitely on borrowed time.

You could get 460ish rwhp with good heads/cam and still have a respectable car, but you'll be louder and wont be smog legal, compared to a stocker.
03 FX35.
03 Z06.
Being a big LS1 guy (also a moderator at LS1tech) I know a lot of their weaknesses..

Like mentioned the Fords bottom ends are mostly forged internals. The LS1's(6 if you looking at a Z06) are not.

Making 500rwhp with a blower or a turbo on an LS1 is pretty easy to do, but there are risks involved. The rod bolts are known to have issue when a lot of RPM / HP come in to play. Once the rod bolts are replaced, the next weak link would be the pistons. Although, I have seen quite a lot of 600rwhp stock bottom end cars. If the pistons and rods were upgraded, the LS(X) based motors can take a beating. Mind you though, you can almost make this amount of power with out a blower/turbo.

My personal opinion when doing pistons and rod bolts is just do the rods too. Even though the GM ones hold exrteamly well, it's better safe than sorry.

Now, the question is, what do you want to do with the car?

Do you want to drag race? Road race? Street race? Auto-x?

Both cars are IRS. So getting out of the hole is going to be about equal.

The Z06 A) Handles better B) is lighter

It is my personal feeling that based on the same RWHP numbers, the Z06 would put a hurt on the Cobra in every way shape and form since it is lighter, lower and more aerodynamic.

But I honestly think you can make the Cobra go down the 1320 faster for cheaper (if building for FI) and more reliable at higher HP figures if the internal parts mentioned on the LS(x) platform are not upgraded.

A heads, cam, headers Z06 though will take down a lot of moded Cobras.
LIL SS Wrote:Being a big LS1 guy (also a moderator at LS1tech) I know a lot of their weaknesses..

Like mentioned the Fords bottom ends are mostly forged internals. The LS1's(6 if you looking at a Z06) are not.

Making 500rwhp with a blower or a turbo on an LS1 is pretty easy to do, but there are risks involved. The rod bolts are known to have issue when a lot of RPM / HP come in to play. Once the rod bolts are replaced, the next weak link would be the pistons. Although, I have seen quite a lot of 600rwhp stock bottom end cars. If the pistons and rods were upgraded, the LS(X) based motors can take a beating. Mind you though, you can almost make this amount of power with out a blower/turbo.

My personal opinion when doing pistons and rod bolts is just do the rods too. Even though the GM ones hold exrteamly well, it's better safe than sorry.

Now, the question is, what do you want to do with the car?

Do you want to drag race? Road race? Street race? Auto-x?

Both cars are IRS. So getting out of the hole is going to be about equal.

The Z06 A) Handles better B) is lighter

It is my personal feeling that based on the same RWHP numbers, the Z06 would put a hurt on the Cobra in every way shape and form since it is lighter, lower and more aerodynamic.

But I honestly think you can make the Cobra go down the 1320 faster for cheaper (if building for FI) and more reliable at higher HP figures if the internal parts mentioned on the LS(x) platform are not upgraded.

A heads, cam, headers Z06 though will take down a lot of moded Cobras.

+1 agree :thumbup
cobras look more beefy to me lol i say cobra Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pix of my cobra ghoust 27 1,704 08-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Big Chris
  93 mustang cobra BLAH BLA 6 680 02-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Derek
  hahn stage 1 or 2 turbo for 2002 neon Logan 1 113 02-05-2002, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Jaggorri
  shelby cobra 427 Imagine 9 205 01-28-2002, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Angel5
  New 2002 Chevrolet 405HP Corvette Z06 VurdoKool 15 247 07-19-2001, 08:45 AM
Last Post: sikkstang4
  AC Cobra ur way Gabe 14 220 07-18-2001, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Shok
  2002 Mustang Mach 1??? noslow5oh 21 251 07-13-2001, 05:06 AM
Last Post: brcSVO
  American Oatmeal or Ford's new Cobra? You decide scourge 7 202 07-12-2001, 05:27 PM
Last Post: TT69Stang
  Cobra's, Saleen's, & Lightning's... Grrr 16 319 04-22-2001, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tirolude
  2002 Mustang Concept. ghoust 15 308 04-18-2001, 11:17 AM
Last Post: joshua.y