Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SgtGrant to the rescue!!! (ticket question)
okay this is for a friend and its not one of those "omg i fuckin hate fucking cops" threads. i just have a couple of questions. now the story:

my friend was going home from school yesterday and was going 45mph in a 25mph school zone... and the cop in the school parking lot saw him and wrote down his license plate(no radar he eyeballed that shit). then today he was called in to the office, the cop was waiting for him there to give him the ticket. he already knows about traffic school and that deal...

im just wondering. is there anyway he can fight this. any tips would be great

thanks in advance!
Asad Wrote:There is no replacement for displacement. Plain and fucking simple.
newbie trying to own you! haha.
umm...yeah thanks for the help guys
some jackass posted, but I had to delete their account.
lawyer time
w/o one your toast
No matter what you do , spend or tinker on with your ricer,
IT'S STILL RICE !

NASCAR COMPETITION LICENSE HOLDER and AMA LIFE MEMBER
You have to realize that the courts recognize an officers visual estimate of speed as the primary method of issueing a speeding ticket. Radar, pacing, etc. are all used in support of the visual estimate. The ticket is just as valid without the secondary method.
The Republic was not established by cowards; and cowards will not preserve it ... This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.

Elmer Davis
oh, thanks! i only have one more question.. what about fighting it? should he just plead guilty?
That is a personal decision. You will see answers all over the board here. Some say fight it every time. I suspect most of those folks don't really understand how low the percentage is of people who actually win in court. Everyone has a story they want to tell of somebody that beat the ticket. Nobody likes to publicly admit they got spanked in court. You have to weigh the odds and evaluate what it is worth to you to take the time and effort to go to court. If you have a strong case, you may prevale. Most do not. Some even take a bigger hit for wasting the courts time. Some folks will tell you to go and hope the officer doesn't show. Most of the time the officer does. Then you are stuck stumbling through and inadequate defense which is readily apparent to the judge. Some judges are nice, some have little tolerance for people who clearly came unprepared and they tack on lots of fees. It is a crapshoot. I would never dissuade anyone who truly believes they did not commit the violation from contesting a citation. I have no respect for those that know they are guilty but try and get away with it anyway. Some judges feel that way too and you may end up with one. Sometimes if the violaton is minor, a judge will be sympathetic. 70 mph on a freeway with a 65 mph limit would probably fly. 45 mph in a 25 mph school zone with potential children present will probably not fall into that category.
The Republic was not established by cowards; and cowards will not preserve it ... This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.

Elmer Davis
thanks for all the information, and yeah hes not fighting it because he was in the school zone right after school. i shouldve have made all of this one post but what about traffic school, he doesnt want his record messed up so how does that work?
My take on traffic school is that you only get so many of them. If you don't get a lot of tickets, use it up. If you anticipate more expensive ones later, save it.

Elmer Davis
SgtGrant Wrote:Some say fight it every time. I suspect most of those folks don't really understand how low the percentage is of people who actually win in court. Everyone has a story they want to tell of somebody that beat the ticket. Nobody likes to publicly admit they got spanked in court.

I'm 2 wins and 1 loss
If you are right , fight
If you are wrong , go to school or pay up
If you are stupid, don't waste the courts time
IT'S STILL RICE !

But you are an anomaly. The rest of it I agree with.

Elmer Davis
SgtGrant Wrote:But you are an anomaly. The rest of it I agree with.
yeah , probably.
most of the people I've seen try to fight a ticket were complete morons, the rest were NOT prepared
if you don't have it together , you don't have snowballs chance in he77:eek5:
IT'S STILL RICE !

I fought a ticket once, and knew I was wrong. Needless to say... I lost. haha

*edit* Oh well, lesson learned.
Pleaded not guilty. Had my court date set at 2 days after Thanks Giving, cop didn't show up. It was tossed.

But seriously, I rather not go to court ever again. Just keep the speeds down, and the lead foot at the track.
talking about bull shit ticket... i got a 70 in 65 zone yesterday on 880 at 8 pm on the fast lane by a motorcycle cop when i was trying to make him room to pass. oh well.
Tell your friend to not go so fast next time. If he was going say, 30 mph I would say to fight it by declaration (through mail), but what do I know? I've lost 3 tickets in court for 32 in 30 zone, 33 in 30 zone, and 34 in a 30 zone, but not in that order. Luckily I've had only a 35 in a 30 zone ticket in the last 3 years. See, I'm maturing... Rolleyes
2Kaccord Wrote:Tell your friend to not go so fast next time. If he was going say, 30 mph I would say to fight it by declaration (through mail), but what do I know? I've lost 3 tickets in court for 32 in 30 zone, 33 in 30 zone, and 34 in a 30 zone, but not in that order. Luckily I've had only a 35 in a 30 zone ticket in the last 3 years. See, I'm maturing... Rolleyes

that is hella gay lol...
Quote:talking about bull shit ticket... i got a 70 in 65 zone

Kind of a contradiction there isn't that? By the way, don't tell me you speeded up to make that lane change? :doh5:

Elmer Davis

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you give a CHP a ticket? Ryans 40 1,969 06-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Last Post: SgtGrant
  waking up into a ticket boo5t3d7 15 1,077 05-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Last Post: boo5t3d7
  Ticket for loud music m3thod21 39 1,934 05-19-2005, 11:44 PM
Last Post: jttegx
  Quick DUI Question ShadyMilkman 19 1,256 04-13-2005, 05:40 PM
  got a ticket for some BS!! ElectronBlueGSR 23 1,361 03-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Last Post: <3
  Question for Sgt. Grant lwpat 14 968 02-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Last Post: 98civicdx
  Street Racing Question&Thought For the Cops Scotty Kilroy 10 688 09-10-2002, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Silverado350
  street racing question 85civic 11 536 08-12-2002, 08:24 AM
  ticket questions.... Zero0ne-GTS 3 345 08-09-2002, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Zero0ne-GTS
  Question for the Cops... 91black_240 1 254 07-30-2002, 11:43 AM
Last Post: 10AELee