Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4WD and AWD Explained!!!!!
I don't know if you guys know these things, but here's something you could read(From Men's Health Jan/Feb Issue):

1. Extra-Virgin vs Virgin: The oil from the first pressing of olives is called extra-virgin. Its full flavor is best for dressings or dipping. Virgin olive oil is made from the second pressing, yet still gets to call itself a virgin. If you cook pure olive oil works fine, and it's cheaper.

2. Yam and Sweet Potato: A yam is a big honking tuber grown in Africa, Asia and the Caribbean, and you've probably never eaten one. You're probably eating sweet potatoes, a smaller, sweeter, orange high in beta-carotene and vitamin C.

3. Prunes vs Dried Plums: a dreid plum is the same as a prune.

4. AWD vs 4WD: AWD is a clever computerized system that sends power to the wheels with the most traction. 4WD is an option that gives all four wheels equal power, causing your SUV to buck and jerk sometimes.

5. Red Zinfandel vs White Zinfandel: Red zinfandel is a full-bodies, spicy, dry wine that should be drunk with a full-bodies, spicy companion who has a dry wit. White zinfandel is a sweet, fruity, girly wine that shouldn't be drunk.

6. Donkey vs Mule: A donkey, known as an ass, is in the same family as the horse and zebra. The male is known as a jack, meaning he can be called, well, you get it. a mule happens when a jackass with beer goggle gets with a female horse. The offspring like a horse, can be anatomically impressive, but will never be called a stud; it's usually sterile.

7. Jelly vs Jam vs Preserves: Jelly is fruit juice with gelatin, so it jiggles. Jam has bits of fruit. Preserves have chunks.

8. Table salt vs Kosher salt vs Sea Salt: Table salt has iodine and anti-clumping additives that make it taste metallic and soapy. Kosher salt has bigger granules and no additives which make it perfect for the rim of your margarita glass. Sea salt is expensive and nearly pure, and can retain a slight ocean tang.

9. Lager vs Ale: Lagers, which are cold-stored for 2 to 4 weeks after fermentation, have a smoother, cleaner tast than ales, which are bottled quickly and tend to be hearty and robust.

10. Baking soda vs Baking powder: Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, the stuff in the yellow box that soaks up fridge odors, substitues for toothpaste and has 1700 other uses. It comes to life when an acid is added, like vinegar and it's used in batters that are cooked right away. Baking powder is baking soda with an acid already mixed in ready to go to work when a liquid is added. It's used to bake bread and other yummy yeasty things.

11. Grilling vs Barbecuing: You're grilling when you cook a steak on your grill. You're barbecuing when you get up at 5am to start a smoldering fire in a pit and turn slabs of ribs or a brisket into falling-apart wonderfulness by dinner-time.

12. Brandy vs Cognac: Brandy is a general name for an after-dinner drink made from distilled grapes. Cognac is brandy from a specific region in France called Cognac and it's distilled twice.

Hope you guys find couple of things you never knew, because I did....quite a bit, actually.

Jay Kim
Form follows function. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Contact Info:
AIM - Allmotormonster
Email - Kim307@ucla.edu

Heatware Evaluations
Honda-tech Vouch Thread
eBay Seller Rating
Hmm... The AWD in my Sy isn't "computer controlled", unless you consider the viscous coupling in the transfer case to be a sort of analog computer. But then my 700R4 would be controlled by a fluidic analog computer too...

Nevermind. This is a hole with no bottom. :p

[Image: DPNGicon.jpg]
wow...everyone knew these trivial facts already? I'm hella impressed.

Jay Kim
Form follows function. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Contact Info:
AIM - Allmotormonster
Email - Kim307@ucla.edu

Heatware Evaluations
Honda-tech Vouch Thread
eBay Seller Rating